Thursday, December 17, 2009

18 December: An Introduction

Shalom and welcome to Christian Home Companion. I’m no Garrison Keeler, and if you want to know something about me, please read the sidebar on the right. This little blog will have several layers, and is intended for all Christian couples, regardless of age or experience. Many of the more spiritual suggestions here will only really work if both the husband and wife are committed Christians. By committed Christian, I mean someone who is totally sold out to Jesus as LORD and Saviour, and who believes that the Bible is God’s word. I unashamedly believe that the man is the spiritual head of the household, and his wife must respect him. He for his part must love his wife and children, and take their wants and needs into full consideration before making his decisions. It is good that he consults with his family, but ultimately, he makes the decisions.

I saw the need for this blog, because we seem to have lost a generation or more of Christian counselors. Some 40-50% of the young men today have no father image they can look up to for example nor guidance. Many women entered into the work force and never learned to be Christian homemakers, and now cannot advise their own daughters on these matters.

While some of this will be most useful to newly weds, much of what will be presented can be used by older couples as well. Keep in mind that with older children, implementing some of these ideas will be tough. Also keep in mind, that for these ideas to function, husband and wife must be on the same track. Many children have been lost because their parents were not on the same track, and of course some of these discussions need to happen before children come along, and in truth before the marriage occur.


So are you ready for Christmas. By this time you should have everything you need for the Christmas meal purchased except for perishables that might not keep. Have you got a turkey of more than 20 lbs? If so, to safely defrost, the turkey needs to start thawing out on Monday or Tuesday as the latest. Having family over for Christmas, assign each person or family something to bring. Don’t kill yourself cooking the Christmas dinner. If no one is coming, assign each person in the family something to do. When I was fifteen or so, my mother would cook the vegetables, my sister the salad, my grandmother the desert, and I would do the turkey dressing and salad. No-one got worn out over doing everything, and it was a shared experience. Some people (us for one) have the Christmas dinner on the 24th and just have leftovers on Christmas day so no-one has to do any major work that day.

Of course it is a bit late to talk about the Advent Conspiracy and presents, but do look at the following if you haven’t finished your Christmas shopping yet: http://www.adventconspiracy.org/ . I agree it is time for us to remove the materialism from Christmas and put Christ at the centre. Personally, I usually start my Christmas shopping in August and finish by November. This way I can take more time for each present.(I did this originally because my mother’s birthday was Christmas Eve, my father’s on December 28th, and my sister on January 2nd, so I needed to spread out the purchasing) Large family, draw names and let each person buy one present. Buying presents early also allows us to contemplate the season, instead of getting caught up in sales, and rushes and crowds. The important thing is to convey to all involved that the main point of Christmas is that Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. Christmas is to be about Christ, not about presents. To help convey the spirit of the season, try to stay away from Christmas parties during Advent. Advent is a time of preparation. We ask ourselves, “What would we do different if we knew Christ was coming today?” and then go and do it. It is not so much a time of partying, but preparing, and repenting, not as penitential as Lent, but still there should be some fasting involved. Hopefully you have an Advent Wreath on the table and are preparing both for Christmas and the second coming of Christ. If you don’t have prayers for lighting the wreath, go to: http://www.freewebs.com/childrenofabraham/adventwreathservice.htm

Tomorrow: Prayer and turkey recipes.

If this blog is helpful to you, we would greatly appreciate donations. I am a tent maker bishop, which means my church lets me earn my own way. But a teacher is worthy of his keep, so if these musings help you, then please help me. Thanks.






No comments:

Post a Comment